Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I love this idea a . . . . lot!

Carla at The English Teacher Blog (http://www.enotes.com/blogs/english-teacher-blog/ )that I love so much posted this 'lesson' on using the word 'alot.' I love it. Really love it, and thought maybe you would too.

Mr. and Mrs. Alot

Tuesday, April 7th by Carla


A few years back I had a group of students who routinely wrote “a lot” as “alot.” I wanted them to use a more specific adjective, but first I first wanted them to spell “a lot” correctly. The following approach seems to have been helpful.


In advance, I write “alot” in large letters on a long, narrow piece of paper that tears easily. I like to use half a sheet of construction paper for visual appeal.


My spiel goes something like this:


“If you read the paper last night, you might have seen a small notice in the Divorces column. Mr. and Mrs. Alot got a divorce.” (At this point I hold up the sign.)


“Now, divorces usually aren’t friendly events, but this one was especially messy. She caught him running around with other consonants — he accused her of cheating on him with other vowels. He started harassing her, and eventually she had to get a restraining order against him. Now he’s not allowed within 500 feet of her.” (At this point, I tear the paper between the “a” and “lot” and hold them a few inches apart.)

“She has custody of the kids.”


“So when you are using “a lot” in your writing, remember: they got divorced, and there is a restraining order. You have to leave a space.”


I usually tack the two pieces of paper on the tack strip above the blackboard for a few days.

When I run across “alot” again in student writing, I circle it and write “Don’t violate the restraining order” in the margin.

I’ve had good luck with this approach. What do YOU use to help students remember fine points?

No comments:

Post a Comment