Monday, March 2, 2009

I Was 'Almost' Famous With This Idea!


I was at a curriculum mapping conference with Dr. Heidi Hayes Jacobs a couple of years ago and told her about this spelling activity I do with my seventh graders. She promised to put it in her next book. She never did. Boo Hiss! Regardless, I still think this is a great idea that can be used in any grade that has spelling tests.

As we all know, some kids are just natural spellers, and some of the little sweethearts just are not. I know we do everything in our power to help them get better at it, but some never quite catch on. Trust me, I have a phonetic speller in my family. He can study and study those words, and even sometimes come up with a 100% on the spelling test. The next time he goes to use the word in his writing, it is right back to phonetics. :(

On to my 'almost famous idea.'

When my seventh grade class takes their spelling test, I give it in the normal manner. I say the word, use it in a sentence, and say it again. When the test is over, I ask the students to look at the words they have written carefully while I repeat them all slowly, one after another. I tell them to circle any of the words they have written that they are sure are not spelled right, but at the same time they cannot think of how to spell them correctly. For every mistake they can find, I give them 1/4 of a point back on their final test score.

Although I am sure everyone has figured out what I am doing, I will repeat it just so I can get my entire famous idea published!

For students who cannot spell, the best skill they can acquire is self-editing. If they can tell which words are wrong, they know which ones to look up in the dictionary or pocket speller they carry. Of course, they can always use spell-check, but computers are not available in situations where one has to fill out a job applications sitting on a chair in a corner of a store.

The final thing I do is call up each student individually to talk about the ones they got wrong. I take the time to individually reinforce the rules that would help them spell the word right. I also congratulate them on finding their errors. They walk away feeling good about themselves. Even if they cannot spell, they can edit and fix their writing in the future before a final draft is do.

Oh, watch out for the smart ones who try to circle every word. There is always one of them in the class!

No comments:

Post a Comment