Wednesday, March 18, 2009

'Late Work' - by Mr. Bibo of Cal Teacher Blog

I certainly do not advocate reinventing the wheel when it comes to teaching strategies. When I find great ideas related to teaching and learning, I apply them to my own teaching. I also believe in sharing and giving credit where credit is due. With that said . . . .

I have always been a big believer in accepting late student work. If I do not get the work, then I do not know if the student has learned the concepts I have been teaching. Sure, zeros are easy to make and take no effort to correct, but they really do not tell me anything about the learning that has or has not taken place.

I was really happy to stumble upon Mr. Bibo's approach to late work. He does a wonderful job of rewarding students who get work done early, having consequences for late work, and assuring that he always knows if students are really learning.

Hopefully, I have peeked your interest. You can learn all about this approach at http://calteacherblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/late-work.html . You will be glad you did!


Thanks to http://open.salon.com/blog/sierrasong for the clip art!

1 comment:

  1. Haha... I try. I felt like such an idiot standing up there trying to remember the metric system. I am supposed to be a science teacher... It was just one of those days. Hey love the blog. I'm officially a follower :) More power to ya sister. ELA is tough! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete