Friday, March 6, 2009

Update on Practice State Assessments

As I stated before, ND does not purchase practice tests for the ND State Assessment. ND also does not release the questions from previous tests as other states do.

BUT, I do have some good news. The released tests from many other states' assessments are available online. Although these tests are not exactly like the one North Dakota administers, they are very similar. Remember, most of our questions come from a bank of questions that are available to the entire country and are nationally normed.

Am I saying you should download them and teach to the test? Of course not. I am just simply saying that it makes sense to know what kinds of questions kids are going to be asked. It also makes sense to give them a section or two to practice on. Kids do better on assessments they are familiar with.

Making yourself familiar with the types of questions asked on nationally normed tests can assure that you are using language that is the same as that used on the test. Also, giving kids a sample test or two could uncover an area or two where your curriculum is lacking.

To find the released test questions from other states, visit this website http://www.edinformatics.com/testing/testing.htm . If you have used any of them in the past, please comment on the pro's and con's you noticed.

Have a great weekend everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Love your education blog. I found you through your post on the bloody-finger ring designer's website. :o) Isn't that strange/funny! I'm a graduate student in special education (California) and will be teaching this fall. Keep on writing!

    Carla Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carla Beth. I love that someone from another state is interested in my blog. If you would like to receive e-mails that include items like the rubrics I create for my students (regular ed. and special ed. alike), just e-mail me at danielle.mickelson@sendit.nodak.edu. Good luck with graduate school.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete